African Queer Youth Initiative is Hiring: Program Officer
Job Title: Program Officer
Supervisor: Program Manager
Location: Remote (West Africa)
Position: Full Time (one-year contract with opportunity for extension)
Closing Date: July 3, 2020
The AQYI is expanding and we are in the process of launching an exciting leadership development program for young LBTQ women in West Africa. We are looking for enthusiasm and interest in working with a diverse and audacious group of young people in an innovative team structure. We are seeking a dynamic person to fill the position of Program Officer. The selected candidate will oversee the design, implementation, monitoring, and documentation of a leadership project targeting young LBTQ women in West Africa. They will also serve as a liaison between AQYI and external partners as part of this project.
Who we are:
African Queer Youth Initiative is the first regional LGBTIQ youth development and leadership organization in the African continent. AQYI was founded to fill the gap of youth representation and involvement within the larger LGBTIQ movement and for proper representation/involvement in discussions on issues that affect our lives. Our network is made up of youth activists who are mobilizing, supporting, and amplifying the voices of LGBTIQ activists, building visibility, and strategic networks in support of LGBTIQ youth in Africa. Our team is made up of 30 dedicated members from different countries in Africa, and our membership includes; young activists, writers, program managers, researchers, students, and young professionals in diverse fields within the African continent.
What does this job entail?
As the Program Officer for the African Queer Youth Initiative, you will:
- Manage the LBTQ women leadership project.
- Design and implement a fellowship program for LBTQ women in West Africa.
- Shortlist and provide technical support to fellows of the leadership program.
- Supervise the work of fellows and report back on successes.
- Manage project and program budgeting and monitoring process.
- Work closely with team members on fund proposal development, overall fundraising, and other organizational development activities.
- Build and sustain relationships within the LGBTIQ movement and with external stakeholders.
- Work with the communication associate to develop online contents, produce reports, blogs and contribute to AQYI newsletter
- Coordinate consultants, junior staff, interns, and volunteers who are part of this project.
- Perform other assigned duties
Who we are looking for:
- You have a strong interest in human rights and LGBTIQ issues in Africa
- You have a bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma in a relevant field or equivalent experience with at least 3 years of engagement and experience with the LGBTIQ community
- You have a specific understanding of feminist theories and concrete grasp on issues facing LBTQ women in Africa.
- You have experience designing and implementing projects and managing teams
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English (Mandatory).
- You have strong experience with MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- You have experience with public speaking
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural experience working with young people from diverse backgrounds.
- You can work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- You have good experience with fundraising and grant proposal development and reporting.
- You are self-motivated and can work well independently with little or no supervision as well as function as a member of a team
- You can travel both locally and internationally when needed
To apply, please send the following documents:
- Your Resume or CV.
- A cover letter explaining why you want this job and what makes you the right candidate for this position, and your salary expectation.
- A one-page writing sample in French or English on any topic of your choice.
- Two References
Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline. Please use the email heading: AQYI Program Officer Application Package.
Young LBTIQ women in French-speaking and hard to reach areas of Africa are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This job description does not form part of the terms and conditions of employment.
The AQYI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex characteristics, physical condition, religious or cultural beliefs, ethnicity, marital status, etc.